Military, fave five, tots, recipes, crafts, style

army (3) moving (1) self (3) tots (2) wounded warrior (1)

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

True Life: I live at Walter Reed

I am in rare form so get ready......

So yes, My husband was shot on April 28th and was in the United States May 1st. Although We had to go through a lot of calling people and pushing he was sent to Walter Reed. Awesome because I could be close to my family and being as huge as I was it was just what I needed. He got out of the inpatient portion around June 1st. We were taken to the hotel that was on the Walter Reed hospital grounds. It was just a short walk until you were back in the hospital. The room was a normal hotel room with 2 double beds a mini fridge and no room anywhere. Jimmy's wheelchair didn't even fit in the room. We made it to June 15th and then had our beautiful baby dut on June 16th. He was 3 weeks early (different post to come soon :)). While living at Walter reed we were able to participate in a whole bunch of opportunities. There was a foundation that took the wounded warriors out to dinner every Friday night at a great restaurant (rotated every Friday), we were taken to a Washington Nationals baseball game, Jimmy was able to go on a fishing weekend, ect. That really was the only perk to living there. Then around August 18th they merged Walter Reed with Bethesda naval hospital. Although the accommodations here are much nicer (we have an apartment), there is much to be desired about what has gone on here. We have been waiting to clear Walter Reed since August. My husband has made great strides in his recovery and has been ready to go back to work. September came and went and we were still waiting to leave. You may ask what we were waiting for. We were waiting on all the drs and then a specific Major that will remain nameless, to do paperwork. At the end of September we decided it was getting a little ridiculous and I was starting to go nutty (hard to make me do) so we asked to go on leave for 30 days. Major jerk said sure and the day you return the paper work will be done and sent to the appropriate people for their final Ok. We had a glorious 25 days. We called Major Jerk to talk about how we were to return to WR. He told us that the paper work would take 5-7 days and the Army will not fly Jameson and myself back up there. Husband and I seriously contemplated us not returning with him. We called another army guy to ask his opinion. He quickly stated that he's seen it take 6 weeks for this paper work to process. Husband and I decided it was best for us to come up with him. We were lucky enough to have a wonderful business called Hero Miles to fly us up here. We returned October 28th and expected the paper work to be processed Oct. 31st. We went through all the new obstacles they had given us. We jumped through every hoop. Here it is November 9th (baby sister's birthday! Happy Birthday!) and the paper work still hasn't been processed. Why you ask, because Major jerk just decided he didn't feel like doing it.

Sure Husband went to his commanders to explain the situation and Major Jerk said oh yeah I'll stay late on Friday(November 4th) to finish it. Friday Husband and I were walking through the parking garage, turned a corner and got the Major pined between the stroller and the wall. It was 2:45 IN THE AFTERNOON... STAYING LATE MY FOOT!!!!! here's where I get crazy.....

I have now adopted this jaded attitude towards this place. For instance, this evening my husband and I took Auntie Jilly out to dinner and upon our return we went to park in our parking garage that we always park in. No, no there were rent a cops standing at the entrance telling us that it was closed due to "cleaning".... husband asked where we were to park they insisted we could not park there so there was a parking garage down the road. Oh yes, about 4x's as far as the one we normally park in. So here we are at 8:00pm in the freezing cold pushing our sweet baby and husband hobbling because his leg is killing him past these rent a cops. We get to the top of the hill and ask the navy police why we can't park there and they told us because the ribbon cutting ceremony is tomorrow and the delegates have to park somewhere. Maybe it's my nuttiness but how is that fair that the weekend of Veterans day my wounded husband and hundreds of others have to park an obscene while away all so healthy delegates who are coming to see them can park close to the event. Hmmmmmm..... gets me wondering. Any how, we get up to our building and see this huuuuuge line of a motorcade. We walk in and see a whole group of people. We wonder to ourselves what's going on and continue down to our room to get the baby settled in. Well we got here and decided we wanted to run back upstairs to get some ice cream for our evening tv viewing. We run back upstairs to find ourselves stuck in the hall way and everyone standing at attention. Of course, as we are headed up to the cafe husband and I were joking how they parade important people around here like we are animals at the zoo. They should have just put glass doors on all of the apartments so our visitors could tap and knock and see us at feeding time and tap to make us move. back to the ice cream run, we got stuck. We're awkwardly staring at each other to only realize we were the only wounded warriors/family members in the group (by accident). Why yes.... JOE BIDEN the VICE PRESIDENT was there. And yes the dut's were conveniently blocking his path out. Of course he politely stopped to say Hi to us and told me I have "beautiful eyes" and our baby is "adorable" and on he went. On we went to get our ice cream.

Our life is crazy! I mean crazy! and yes I'm getting a bit nutty but I will tell you with all honestly that I would not want to go through any of this without Jimmy. He has made it bare able to go through all of this and he's right. Thank God my husband is alive, he has all of his limbs, my baby is perfect, and everything is going to be alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment